Pet Adoption

Tuesday, October 1, 2013


Have you ever had something bad happen where you felt totally helpless yet responsible at the same time?

This is how I felt after my failed attempt to save a bird's life.

Poor little guy must have flown into my window because there he was just sitting on the deck with all my dogs hanging around.  He wasn't moving but he was obviously alive. My little dog Ike just sniffed him and moved along. The others didn't really pay him much mind. In fact it seemed like no one else had even noticed him sitting there...

Naturally, I wanted to get him out of harm's way immediately so that he could recover and eventually fly away.

I grabbed a sweatshirt to pick him up and walked out onto the deck. Right behind me, I now realize, was Maurice my little terrier mix. Little did I know that when I bent over to pick up the cute little stunned bird, Maurice would make a beeline and beat me to him! Maurice bit the bird.

I was really mad. I picked up the bird and brought him to a safe place but it was too late, he was dead.

Jump to 3 weeks later...

I am sitting at my store when a neighbor drops by to ask for help. She was holding a towel with something in it. It was a bird! Apparently this bird had flown into a window too.  Not only was it a bird, but it was the exact same kind of bird, the same color and size as the one that Maurice know...fatally wounded. 

I took the bird and found a box for his safe keeping.  He was scared but too dazed to fly. I didn't really know what to do so I looked it up online.  The info I found said not to try to give the bird any food or water but to let the bird recover in a quiet place. So that is what I did.

I kept checking on the bird, his little eyes would open and then close. He looked tired. Gosh he was cute. I wanted to pet him but I decided against it as it would be stressful for him even though it would be pleasurable to me. I just kept a watchful eye instead.

After about 45 minutes, I noticed that he was looking more alert with his eyes opened and curious.  I took the box outside and moved the flaps so he could get out. He didn't make a move so after a couple of minutes we went back inside. 

Another ten minutes went by and he was looking perky. I took the box outside again, opened the flaps and waited.  In a few seconds the little guy bounced up to the edge of the box. He looked around for a few more seconds and then, like nothing ever happened, he took off for freedom! 

It was a wonderful feeling seeing him take off. I felt I had done right by this bird. 

I also couldn't help but feel I was given a second chance. It was such a huge relief  having this golden opportunity to redeem myself for little bird who died on my watch.  RIP little guy and Goodspeed lucky one!

No comments:

Post a Comment